Spring 2017 DILAC Events
We are pleased to announce our schedule of events for the Spring 2017 semester. This semester we will be available in the lab each Wednesday from 3-4 p.m. to discuss ideas and answer any DILAC-related questions. One Wednesday each month we'll host a reading group on "Design and the Digital Humanities” as a precursor to our symposium on the same topic in May. Each meeting we'll discuss readings and projects selected from our keynote presenters and other leaders in design and the digital humanities. The dates for each session are below, along with selected readings for the first session.
All are invited! We look forward to seeing you and to a lively conversation.
DH + Design Symposium
The DH + Design Symposium, to be held at Georgia Tech, in Atlanta, on May 4th and 5th, 2017, will bring together leading scholars from the digital humanities and design to explore these increasingly convergent fields, and to identify additional possibilities for their intersection. We will facilitate a series of multi-format conversations around topics of shared concern, including the role of practice (and other applied forms of research) in each field; the similarities and differences between each field’s design processes; theories of speculation as they have been developed through the humanities and design; and how these two fields, together, might rally to address pressing matters of social and political concern.
DILAC Discussion Groups
Wednesday January 25, 3pm, DILAC Lab - 318 Skiles
- Anne Burdick, Johanna Drucker, Peter Lunefeld, Todd Presner, & Jeffrey Schanpp; Preface and Chapter 1: Humanities to Digital Humanities, in Digital Humanities
- Anne Burdick, Meta! Meta! Meta!: A speculative design brief for the digital humanities
- Whitney Trettien, Open Thresholds
- Kelly Josephs, Alex Gil, and Kaima Glover; Small Axe (with focus on SX Archipelagoes “About” page)
Wednesday February 22, DILAC Lab - 318 Skiles
- Jentery Sayers, Prototyping the Past
- Sayers, Kits for Cultural History
- Sayers, Early Wearables Kit
- Sayers, Early Magnetic Recording Kit
- Daniela Rosner, Techno-Cultures of Craft
- Daniela Rosner, Feminist Hackerspace Zine
Wednesday March 29, DILAC Lab - 318 Skiles (Canceled)
More info to come.
Wednesday, April 26, DILAC Lab - 318 Skiles
More info to come.
Please contact Lauren Klein (lauren.klein [at] lmc.gatech.edu)">lauren.klein [at] lmc.gatech.edu) or Carl DiSalvo (carl.disalvo [at] lmc.gatech.edu) with any questions.